Popular Posts

Sunday, May 29, 2011

More Figs!

On KI I was lucky enough to be given a huge bag of home grown figs.  I decided that I would try my hand at making some fig syrup at the suggestion of one of the other ladies who was there with us.

I cut the figs in half and put them in a large bowl, then covered them with brandy (but I didn't have enough to completely cover them so I added some sweet sherry that I found in the bar) and put them in the fridge for a week.  Every day or so I turned them to make sure the alcohol soaked into every single bit.  After a week they went into a large saucepan with just enough water to cover them and simmered until they were all pulpy.  Then I blended it until it was smooth.  It wasn't sweet enough for my liking so I added some sugar (about 2 cups) and reheated until the sugar dissolved.  Syrup was then funnelled into sterilised bottles ready to put on pancakes, waffles or icecream (or just eat it by the spoonful).  As a thank you I sent a bottle of syrup back to KI to the donor of the figs.

I also wanted to try a recipe that I have been given for dried fig muffins.  I decided to use the figs that I dehydrated a few months ago (see related posting).

Melt 100g butter and add 250 ml apple juice. Remove from heat and add 400g chopped dried figs and 1 tablespoon grated orange zest.  Leave about 1 hour or until figs have softened and mixture is cool.  Mix 11/2 cups plain flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 11/2 teaspoons baking powder in a large bowl.  Add fig mixture, 2 large eggs and 11/2 teaspoons vanilla.  Stir until just combined and spoon into prepared muffin pans.  Bake for 25 minutes or until cooked when tested.

2 comments:

  1. This makes me want to go out and buy tons of figs.. hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better still, you need to find someone with a fig tree or a fig tree growing on public property!!

    ReplyDelete