Popular Posts

Monday, March 28, 2011

Slow Cooked Squash Soup

As you know I love gifts of home grown fruit and vegetables. When my mother in law produced an extra large home grown squash (which was grown in the same garden as the GIANT zucchini) I had to do something special with it and not just chop it up and steam it. I finally decided to make some Slow Cooked Squash Soup (try saying that after a bottle of sauvignon blanc).  This is not a recipe, it is just using what you have available.  To give you an idea, this is the list of other vegetables that I chopped up and put into the slowcooker with the squash - 1 sweet potato, 1/2 chopped onion, 2 sticks celery, 1 carrot and a couple of over ripe tomatoes.  I then added 2 bay leaves, a sprinkle of salt, peppercorns and enough water to just about cover all of the vegetables. I set it to high and left it alone for about 4 hours.  When it is cooked, blend and adjust the salt and pepper to your liking.  If you are a busy person and you don't already have a slow cooker, DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR and go and buy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment