Popular Posts

Saturday, July 23, 2011

What to do with Fruit Pulp

Well I got the fruit juicer and have been making fresh orange juice and apple juice.  There is quite a bit of fruit pulp left over from this.  As I don't like wasting food I set myself the task of making sure that I use this in cooking.  I have frozen some of the orange pulp to use in summer when I don't have any fresh local oranges (and because I am making so much pulp and can only cook and eat so many goodies).

Fruit pulp is a good source of fibre that you are missing out on if you just drink the juice instead of eating the whole fruit and because it is the fruit fibre with the liquid removed it is quite dense and filling.

The Apple and Spice bread does not contain preservatives and needs to be eaten within a few days of making.  We ate it fresh, then made French toast with it for breakfast the next morning.  That evening I made the leftovers into a Bread and Butter Pudding.  It was all very good.


Orange Cookies:
Mix 1 egg with 1 cup of orange pulp (you could alter this recipe and use any kind of fruit pulp), 1 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon butter, 1 teaspoon bicarb soda, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 cups plain flour, 1/2  teaspoon each of cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon and 1 cup sultanas.  You could also add nuts but I didn't as the kids go to a "nut free" school.

Drop by the spoonful onto a prepared baking tray. Bake in a moderate oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Makes about 30.

Apple and Spice Bread:
I used my breadmaker for this so you might have to adapt this recipe to suit your breadmaker or to make in oven if you don't have a breadmaker.  Place 250ml water, 125 ml apple juice, 2 tablespoons oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 4 cups plain flour, 2 tablespoons milk powder, 1 teaspoon each of cinnamon and nutmeg and 2 teaspoons of yeast into bread pan.  Select "sweet" setting (lower temperature and longer baking time) and add 1 cup apple pulp and 1/2 cup sultanas at the beep.  This takes about 3 1/2 hours to cook.

Apple and Spice French Toast:
Mix 1 egg, 1 cup cream and 1 dessert spoon of castor sugar in a large bowl.  Dunk bread in and coat well.  Fry in butter until golden brown on both sides then top with cinnamon sugar. Serve immediately.

Apple and Spice Bread and Butter Pudding:
Butter 6 slices of bread and lay in a lightly greased pudding dish.  Heat 1 cup cream, 1 cup milk and vanilla pod (or essence if you don't have a vanilla pod) in a saucepan until boiling, then remove vanilla pod if using.  Mix eggs and sugar in a bowl, then whisk in the hot milk mixture.  Pour over the bread and allow to stand for 20 minutes to soak in.  Cook in a slow - moderate oven for approximately 40 minutes or until custard is just set.  Let stand for 10 minutes, then brush with apricot jam.  Delicious hot or cold.

Apple Cupcakes:
Beat 110 g butter with 110g castor sugar until light and fluffy.  Add two eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla essence and mix well.  I had half a jar of brandy butter in the fridge that I wanted to get rid of so I threw that in as well.  Add the fruit pulp (I used about 6 apples worth of pulp - sorry didn't actually measure it but was probably about 1-2 cups) and 110 g SR flour.  Mix and spoon into patty pans and cook in a moderate oven for about 20 minutes or until cooked when tested.  I was going to ice these with either a caramel or custard flavoured icing which I thought would be interesting with apple cake, but most of them got eaten as soon as they came out of the oven.  They would probably be good eaten cold as well.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to try these. I actually getting a juicer soon. I am glad you found this one my other one ended up getting deleted. I look forward to getting caught up on your blogs.

    ReplyDelete